Monday, March 7, 2011

And you thought algebra was confusing???



     Well, try chicken math! That's right... chicken math. I know what you are saying right about now... "That crazy chicken lady is off her roost." Nope. It is well known amongst us chicken enthusiasts, and it will even have the nerdiest of math lovers scratching their heads. Any attempt at understanding chicken math, will put any confusion of algebra to rest.

This is basically how it works:

    First of all, 1 chicken + 1 chicken NEVER = 2 chickens. At the bare minimum, it equals 4. Second, a dozen chickens = 16. Just like a baker's dozen = 13 (so the baker has one to eat), a chicken owner will mailorder a dozen chickens which will have 12 + 4 ''packing peanuts'' (16). Third, if you go to your local farm and garden store to buy 6 day old chicks, it is guaranteed that you will leave with at least 7. Why you ask?? Don't know... it is just how chicken math works.

  Lets take my situation for an example. Last summer, I decided I was going to purchase my first, and at the time only, flock of chickens. I thought long and hard about how many I wanted and decided on 3. Yet, when I placed my order, I got 5!  This was my first experience with chicken math. However, at the time, I was new to the whole chicken experience and was still pretty skeptical about this chicken math everyone warned me about.

    Then the neighborhood dog came by and snatched 1... down to 4. Ok ok. That math is correct. 5-1 does in fact equal 4. The difference is, whenever one chicken is lost it is replaced by at least 2. Now, remember I said just a moment ago that the intended 3 that I ordered (which somehow turned into 5) was going to be my ONLY purchase. If the neighborhood dog never ate my Edy, things may have stayed the same, but since I lost her, chicken math intervined. Now, I have 4 more chicks coming Thursday... which, in fact, was only going to be 3!

   Still skeptical?? Fine, that is perfectly normal. Like I said before, I was once a disbeliever. So, try and prove me wrong. Go get yourself some chickens and see what happens. It might not happen instantaneously, but it will happen.

FYI... before my chickens, my daughter was failing algebra. 
I rest my case.

3 comments:

  1. So very true! My husband is becoming quite aware of chicken math too... he's as bad as we are :-p

    ReplyDelete
  2. No sister is going to go with you are off your rocker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Riss... when you are a crazy chicken lady, it is "off your roost." See how that works!

    ReplyDelete